The first international conference on laser peening will be held in Houston-Texas, USA 15-17 December 2008. It is an honor to have Dr. Allan Clauer of LSP Technologies, Inc. kicking off the conference with the first of two keynote presentations at 9:15 am on 15 December. Dr. Clauer has been involved with laser peening from its inception in the early 1970s, back when it was called laser shock processing.
The conference was established by Dr. Omar Hatamleh of NASA-Johnson Space Center. Dr. Hatamleh is the Conference Chairman.
Topics will include:
- Laser peening effects on residual stress distribution
- Modeling of residual stresses from laser peening
- Laser peening effects on fatigue life, and crack growth rates in base and welded components
- Laser peening effects on microstructure, mechanical properties, and surface roughness
- General aspects of laser peening – process parameters, potential applications, commercialization
- Additional topics within the field of laser peening are welcome
Contributions will be made by attendees from around the world, including presentations by Dr. Todd Rockstroh (General Electric Aviation – USA) on “Laser Shock Processing of Aircraft Engine Components”, Dr. Brent Dane (Metal Improvement Company) on “Recent Developments in Large Scale Industrial Laser Peening”, Dr. Yuji Sano (Toshiba-Japan) on Development and Applications of Laser Peening Systems for Field Operations”, Mr. Brad Cowles (Pratt & Whitney-USA) on “Applications, Benefits, and Challenges of Advanced Surface Treatments”, and Dr. Takafumi Adachi (Fuji Heavy Industry-Japan) on “Effects of Laser Peening on Fatigue Properties for Aerospace Aluminum Alloys”.