Non-Destructive Inspection for Bonded Structures
LSP Technologies has developed a non-destructive (NDT) inspection system for inspecting bonded structures that is based upon our advanced laser system technology tailored specifically for the Laser Bond Inspection process. Laser Bond Inspection (LBI) is a proof-testing method that sends a well-controlled dynamic stress to the adhesive bond. The dynamic stress is generated by the interaction of a high-energy pulsed laser beam on the surface of the composite structure. The dynamic stress wave propagates through the composite structure and stresses bond lines. The application of the dynamic stress on the composite material has no effect on the integrity of the material or bond when it is properly constructed. However, when the bond is substandard (i.e. below design strength as a result of improper surface preparation or kissing bond), the LBI system can identify these defects.
The LBI technology can be used during the initial construction of the structure and during subsequent inspections throughout the life of the structure. The technique offers a practical structural health monitoring solution for identifying and locating composite damage/defect regions in laminate and laminate-adhesive bonds in aircraft.
The advanced laser system is configured in a self-contained, mobile platform. This advancement is essential for rapid insertion of the LBI process into aircraft manufacturing plant operations and aircraft maintenance depots. There exists no equivalent laser system in the commercial sector.
Laser Bond Inspection Benefits
- Conduct non-destructive inspections on bonded structures in production and depot environments.
- Conduct non-destructive inspections on bonded structures in the field.
- Conduct calibrated dynamic strength measurements to identify weaknesses that conventional NDT methods cannot locate.
- Identify kissing bonds.
- Identify weak bonds resulting from improper surface preparation or contamination.
- Identify variations in surface preparation or contamination.
- Inspect a variety of bonded structures, including: composite-to-composite, metal-to-composite, and metal-to-metal bonds.
Laser Bond Inspection System Features
- Eye-safe process.
- Enclosure provides controlled internal environment to protect and optimize laser performance.
- Build on a rugged cart that provides maneuverability on flat job site floors.
- Passes through most facility double doors.
- Delivery system includes an articulating arm with a reach of 5.7 ft. (Optional reaches up to 15 ft. available.)
- Amplifier lamps are replaceable without need of realignment.
Laser System - Neodymium: Phosphate glass
- Pulse Energy: 10-50 J
- Wavelength: 1054 nm
- Pulse Width: 100-300 ns
- Pulse Repetition rate = 1/8 Hz
- System warm up time: 20 minutes
Service Requirements (supplied by customer)
- Supply: 208Y120 3Phase, 60HZ, 42A
- Safety disconnect (Power cord provided with machine: 2AWG 5Wire, 20ft flex Type SO)
- Purge Air: 80-90 psig Connection: 3/8" NPT
- Coolant for Air Cooled Chiller System: 5-6 gallons of de-ionized water required for initial fill of closed-loop chiller cooling system.
Inspection Process Head:
- Process air: 80-90 psig Connection: 1/2" NPT
- Process water (de-ionized preferred): 50-100 psig Connection: 1/2" NPT
Facility Environment and User Specifications
- Ambient Storage Temperature: 35°F to 130°F
- Ambient Operating Temperature: 60°F to 90°F
- Ambient Humidity (to operate at facility): up to 90% RH, non-condensing
Transport method / work site floor requirements
- Tow connection: Standard Loop-Type Towing Tongue
- Floor surface conditions:
o Designed for flat standard factory / aircraft hanger concrete flooring capable of supporting 2500 psi minimum
o Ramps (due to ground clearance): 1% slope total
o Grade: .5% Grade max.
- Inspection Technician: Technician training.
- Maintenance Technician: Minimum Laser Technician certification.
- Overall operational dimensions: WxHxL (in) = 64.5" x 120" x 165"
- Overall job site transport dimensions: WxHxL (in) = 64.5" x 78" x 192" (Tongue extended)
- Overall dimensions without trailer: WxHxL (in) = 64" x 68.3" x 89.4"
- Unit weight trailer: 9000 lbs.
- Unit weight without trailer: 6500 lbs.