Laser Peening versus Shot Peening
- The compressive residual stresses developed by LaserPeen™ processing is often greater than 10 times deeper than that for shot peening (typically in the range of 0.040" to 0.060" from the surface versus about 0.005-0.010" for shot peening). Laser peening has been proven to reach depths greater than 0.250" in thick material applications
- There is an impressive gain in fatigue strength and fatigue life with laser peening
- Laser peening does not roughen the surface of the part whereas shot peening does.
- Aggressive shot peening can actually reduce fatigue life
LSP Technologies, the "Father of Laser Peening" is the premier provider of laser peening services world-wide. LSP Technologies' Laser Bond Inspection ensures that bonded structures, such as aircraft, bridges, buildings, and automobiles are properly bonded, which ensures the integrity of those structures.
We provide Laser Shock processing, laser bond inspection and metal fatigue mitigation services for:
- Aircraft Turbine Engine Components
- Automotive Systems
- and other industries...